Photo : www.knorr.com/th/recipe-ideas/แกงเผ็ดเป็ดย่าง.html
Kaeng Phet Pet Yang (Roast Duck Curry)
Ranking fifth among the ten Thai dishes ordered most often by foreigners, the dish of Kaeng Phet Pet Yang or roast duck curry is not commonly found in food shops in Thailand but is mostly served in high-class restaurants.
Ingredients of Curry Paste
- 7 dried chillies
- 2 tablespoons of sliced shallots
- 3 tablespoons of chopped garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon of chopped galanga
- 2 tablespoons of chopped lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon of thin slices of kaffir-lime peels
- 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander roots
- 1 tablespoon of ground dried coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon of ground dried fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of shrimp paste
- Some pepper
How to prepare the curry paste
- Pound the dried chillies and salt together.
- Then add all the remaining ingredients except the shrimp paste and pound them together until they are well blended.
- Add the shrimp paste and blend thoroughly.
- 1 roast duck, boned and sliced
- 1 cup of coconut cream
- 6 cups of thin coconut cream from the second or third pressing
- 1/2 cup of sweet basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons of jalapeno pepper
- 6 sliced leaves of kaffir-lime
- 20 small tomatoes
- 1 small pineapple, peeled and cut to small pieces
- 1/2 chopped bamboo shoots, boiled
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
How to cook
- Use strong heat to boil the thin coconut cream in a pot. Leave it.
- Fry the curry paste in cooking oil in a wok. Then add the roast duck and blend them together.
- Remove it from heat and pour it into the pot of cooked coconut cream.
- Use medium heat to boil the curry. When it is boiling, add the pineapple, tomatoes and boiled bamboo shoots.
- Simmer with medium heat for five minutes.
- Add the one-cup coconut cream and gently stir to combine.
- Season with fish sauce. Add sweet basil leaves, kaffir-lime leaves and jalapeno pepper.
- Remove it from the heat.
For the medicinal properties of Kaeng Phet Pet Yang, different herbs have different functions. Their properties are described below:
Chilli: It is used as cough medicine, and for the respiration system, blood circulation and heart. It can also help stimulate your appetite.
Shallot: It helps relieve a cold and increase the secretion of urine. It is also used as carminative medicine.
Garlic: It can help prevent the blood vessel from being clogged, relieve high blood pressure, and eliminate phlegm.
Galanga: It can help relieve excessive gas in the stomach, stimulate digestion, and cure dysentery.
Lemon grass: It can help increase the secretion of urine, reduce heat in the body, and lower high blood pressure. It also acts as carminative medicine.
Kaffir-lime: It helps relieve excessive gas in the intestine.
Coriander: It acts as carminative and cough medicine.
Sweet basil: It helps eliminate phlegm, and also parasites in the body.
Tomato: It is used as a mild laxative, and can help prevent cancer.