Wat Rong Khun
Situated at the starting point of Highway 10 in the heart of the town.
A bronze statue of the founder of the Lanna Kingdom is situated at the starting point of Highway 110, which leads to Mae Chan, Chiang Saen and Mae Sai. Many tourists visit this monument to pay their respects to the ancient king and to have photos taken as souvenirs.
Located on Uttarakit Road
Wat Klang Wiang, an ancient temple built in 1432, features contemporary Lanna’s art and has its interesting history back to over 500 years. In the past, the temple was also known as Wat Chan Lok because a big “Chan” tree (Red Sandal Wood) was located in there. And after a geological survey, it was found that the temple was situated right at the centre point of the city. Therefore, a city pillar was erected inside. In 1903, a heavy storm caused the tree to crash down on the convocation hall, which led to the renovation but this time a stupa was built where the tree used to be.
Located on Doi Ngammuang
Wat Ngammuang is an important ancient temple in Chiang Rai Province as it houses King Meng Rai’s ashes. After being constructed in 1489, the temple was once renovated in 1677 before it had been abandoned for many years. The latest restoration was done in 1952 and the temple has become lively again.
Located on Doi Ngammuang
This temple is a fine example of Lanna Thai architecture. The famous Phra Phuttha (Buddha) Sing image housed here is believed to be built in 157 A.D. in Sri Lanka or Ceylon and was brought to Thailand in the Sukhothai period (1238-1438)
Located on Trairat Road
This temple is the original place where the Emerald Buddha (now housed in the Temple of the Emerald Buddha in Bangkok) was found in 1354. Now the temple houses a jade Buddha image which was made to commemorate the 90th birthday of the late Princess Mother.
Located on the hilltop overlooking the Kok River
This temple features an ancient pagoda which predates the founding of Chiang Rai as the capital of Lanna Thai.
Located in Pa Or Donchai District, Muang County, Chiang Rai Province
Wat Rong Khun is situated at the entrance to Khun Kon waterfall, 12 km to Muang County of Chiang Rai Province. The temple has been designed and constructed by a famous Thai artist named Chaloemchai Khositphiphat. The construction of this contemporary temple is the artist’s lifework. Even though the temple has not been finished, its striking architecture has attracted many tourists who would like to see the great Buddhist arts. The ubosot of this temple is in pure white and adorned with exquisite traditional Thai style stuccowork, aiming to represent heaven.
30 km south of Chiang Rai town along route 1211
The 70-metre high Khun Kon or Tat Mok Waterfall is the highest and most beautiful in the province. Surrounded with dense wood, the area is also good for hiking.
Running through the heart of Chiang Rai, this 130-km-long charming river is reputed as among the most scenic and unspoiled rivers still existing in Thailand. Along the banks there are thick jungles, mountain cliffs and many hilltribe villages, some of which are highlighted in tour programs. Elephant riding and trekking are also offered at some villages.
The stream flows gently most of the way except a series of rapids near the lower reaches of the river, making the trip more exciting. It takes 3 days and 2 nights to cover the 80-km distance by raft from Tha Ton of Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai town. River trips to and from Chiang Rai by long-tail boats are also organized regularly. The trip takes about 4-5 hrs.
Situated on Chiang Rai - Mae Chan route 8 kilometres from town and behind Ratchaphat Institute
This large 620-rai scenic park includes botanical gardens, palm and bamboo gardens and a big lotus pond covering an area of 223 rai and is ideal for a relaxing stroll or a holiday picnic. (1rai = 1,600 sq m or 0.395 acre)