It consists of two main islands, Ko Yao Yai and Ko Yao Noi. Both of them retain the pleasant simple life style of their Muslim islanders. Though the former is larger than the latter, they both offer several magnificent secluded beaches.
Ko Yao Noi, the main population centre, has several beautiful beaches including:
- Pa Sai Beach, a clean white sandy beach with shady trees, is good for swimming. Several islands of Krabi can be seen from the beach.
- Tha Khao Beach is a rocky beach covered with colourful rocks and gravels. Just a little distance offshore is Ko Nok, a tiny island that can be reached on foot at low tide.
Some interesting beaches on Ko Yao Yai are:
- Tikut Bay has a white sandy beach and a rocky cape from which a beautiful panorama can be seen.
- Khlong Son Bay has a white sandy beach with shady pine trees, colourful rocks and lovely coral reefs.
- Lo Pa Raet is a long shady beach with a coconut plantation behind. Swimming can be done at any time here.
Getting to Ko Yao
You can take a boat to Ko Yao either from Phuket, Phang-nga or Krabi, but the most convenient way is from Phuket.
There is a passenger boat leaving Bang Rong pier in Pa Khlok Subdistrict of Phuket for Ko Yao Noi around 08.00 hrs. After that, you can charter a long-tail boat. The trip takes about one hour. Chartered boats are also available at Ao Phang-nga pier and Laemsak pier in Krabi.
From Ko Yao Noi, there are shuttle boats sailing from Manao pier to Ko Yao Yai.
For your personal safety and protection by law, please use the services of travel agencies holding a TAT license only.