Photo : www.knorr.com/th/recipe-ideas/พะแนงเนื้อ.html
Kaeng Phanaeng (Meat in Coconut Cream)
The last dish in the top ten Thai food menu that Thaiways has obtained its recipe for you is Kaeng Phanaeng or meat in coconut cream. You can use either chicken or beef as a main ingredient of the curry.
- 1 cup of chicken breasts or beef morsels
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 cup of coconut cream
- 2 dried chillies, seeded and soaked
- 1/2 teaspoon of coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon of roast peanuts
- 1 tablespoon of chopped lemon grass
- 3 shallots
- 1 teaspoon of chopped coriander root
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 3 slices galanga root
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of grated kaffir-lime rind
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of shrimp paste
How to cook
- Fry the chicken or beef morsels in a saucepan with medium heat.
- Pour the coconut cream and boil it.
- When it boils, turn down the heat to a low point. Simmer it until the chicken or beef becomes tender. Then take the meat out while continuing simmering the coconut cream.
- Stir it occasionally. Meanwhile, prepare the curry paste by grinding together all the spices including dried chillies, peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, lemon grass, shallots, coriander root, garlic and galanga root. Then add the roast peanuts and shrimp paste. Mix them and pound them well into paste.
- Blend the curry paste with boiling coconut cream. Put the meat into the curry again. Use low heat to cook it.
- Add the sliced red chillies. Flavour it with fish sauce, sugar and the grated kiffir-lime rind.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes before the curry is ready for serving.