The present province of Phang-nga
was first inhabited by small communities on the bank
of the Phang-nga river in a district called Kraphu-nga.
The district expanded in the reign of King Rama II (1809-1824)
when the Burmese troops invaded southern Thailand. As
the army from Bangkok did not arrive in time, the three
important nearby towns of Takua Pa, Takua Thung, and
Thalang (present Phuket) fell one after the other and
their large numbers of inhabitants fled to Kraphu-nga
and settled there. Later the Siamese army successfully
expelled all the Burmese invaders but most people chose
to stay in their new communities.
In the reign of King Rama III (1824-1851), the status
of Kraphu-nga village was changed into a town under
the name of Phang-nga, and by the King's order Takua
Thung became part of Phang-nga. Phang-nga was elevated
to a province in 1933.