Three Kings Monument
situated in front of the Thai Art & Culture
Hall near the intersection of Phra Pokklao Rd.
and Inthawarorot Rd.
history of Chiang Mai can be traced to the reign
of King Mengrai (1259-1317) who established
the Kingdom of Lanna in the northern region. In
1296 the King cooperated with King Ramkhamhaeng
of Sukhothai and King Ngam Muang of Phayao to
choose an appropriate site for founding the capital
of Lanna. The present location of Chiang Mai was
selected. It took about 4 months to complete the
building task. That's how Chiang Mai became the
capital of Lanna.
In 1558, Chiang Mai town was captured by Burengnong, a
very competent King of Burma. But 38 years later, King
Naresuan of Ayutthaya seized Chiang Mai back from the
Burmese. Later the town fell to the hands of the Burmese
again before King Narai of Ayutthaya succeeded in its
recovery. Ayutthaya took control of the town for 20 years.
After that Chiang Mai was alternately ruled by the Burmese
and became independent.
1774, King Taksin of Thon Buri, who reestablished Thai
sovereignty after Ayutthaya had been defeated in the
war with Burma in 1767, realized the vital strategic
importance of Chiang Mai, made an attack on the town
and took it as a vassal town. In the reign of King Rama
V (1868-1910), Chiang Mai's status was elevated from
a vassal town to be part of a monthon (an administrative
unit used at that time). When the Thai government abolished
this unit, Chiang Mai became a province in 1933.