Thai romanization system ?
Food : Kaeng Phet Pet Yang
One of the great pleasure of being in Thailand is that
there is a great abundance of eating places and the cost
of eating is rather cheap when compared to those in Western
countries. As Thailand is a major agricultural country,
grains, vegetables, meat and all kinds of foodstuff are
produced here at very reasonable prices. Besides, aquatic
and marine animals are easily acquired from the sea and
many rivers. These factors together with the gift of cooking
of Thai people make Thailand a paradise for every food
Wherever you are in Thailand, you'll surely find a good
number and variety of eating places -- perhaps much more
than you've ever expected. And that's why many Western
visitors said that one of their pleasures while being
in Thailand is EATING! When asked why? They simply said
-- Because it is delicious and cheap!
The Top Ten Thai Dishes Loved by Foreigners
Do you want to try something exotic and spicy? Thai food
is recommended to you. Eating Thai food, you will not
only enjoy its delicious tastes, but you will also get
benefit from the medicinal herbs used as ingredients in
each dish. To acquaint you with herbal Thai dishes, let
Thaiways present to you the recipes for top ten
Thai dishes best loved by foreigners with the medicinal
properties of herbs used in each dish.
Phet Pet Yang
(Roast Duck Curry)
• 1/2 tablespoon
of chopped galanga
Kaeng Phet Pet Yang
fifth among the ten Thai dishes ordered most often
by foreigners, the dish of Kaeng Phet Pet Yang
or roast duck curry is not commonly found in
food shops in Thailand but is mostly served in high-class
Ingredients of Curry Paste
• 7 dried chillies
• 2 tablespoons of sliced
• 3 tablespoons of chopped
• 2 tablespoons of chopped lemon
• 1 tablespoon of thin slices of
• 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander
• 1 tablespoon of ground dried
• 1 teaspoon of ground dried fennel
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 1 teaspoon of shrimp paste
• Some pepper
How to prepare the curry paste
1. Pound the dried chillies and salt together.
2. Then add all the remaining ingredients except the shrimp
paste and pound them together until they are well blended.
3. Add the shrimp paste and blend thoroughly.
• 1 roast duck, boned and sliced
• 1 cup of coconut cream
• 6 cups of thin coconut cream
from the second or third pressing
• 1/2 cup of sweet basil leaves
• 2 tablespoons of jalapeno pepper
• 6 sliced leaves of kaffir-lime
• 20 small tomatoes
• 1 small pineapple, peeled and
cut to small pieces
• 1/2 chopped bamboo shoots, boiled
• 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
• 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
How to cook
1. Use strong heat to boil the thin coconut cream in a
pot. Leave it.
2. Fry the curry paste in cooking oil in a wok. Then add
the roast duck and blend them together.
3. Remove it from heat and pour it into the pot of cooked
4. Use medium heat to boil the curry. When it is boiling,
add the pineapple, tomatoes and boiled bamboo shoots.
5. Simmer with medium heat for five minutes.
6. Add the one-cup coconut cream and gently stir to combine.
7. Season with fish sauce. Add sweet basil leaves, kaffir-lime
leaves and jalapeno pepper.
8. Remove it from the heat.
For the medicinal properties of Kaeng Phet Pet Yang,
different herbs have different functions. Their properties
are described below:
Chilli: It is used as cough medicine,
and for the respiration system, blood circulation and
heart. It can also help stimulate your appetite.
Shallot: It helps relieve a cold and
increase the secretion of urine. It is also used as carminative
Garlic: It can help prevent the blood
vessel from being clogged, relieve high blood pressure,
and eliminate phlegm.
Galanga: It can help relieve excessive
gas in the stomach, stimulate digestion, and cure dysentery.
Lemon grass: It can help increase the
secretion of urine, reduce heat in the body, and lower
high blood pressure. It also acts as carminative medicine.
Kaffir-lime: It helps relieve excessive
gas in the intestine.
Coriander: It acts as carminative and
Sweet basil: It helps eliminate phlegm,
and also parasites in the body.
Tomato: It is used as a mild laxative,
and can help prevent cancer.
||More about Thailand
Links to Thaiways Maps