Thai romanization system ?
Food : Kaeng
One of the great pleasure of being in Thailand is that
there is a great abundance of eating places and the cost
of eating is rather cheap when compared to those in Western
countries. As Thailand is a major agricultural country,
grains, vegetables, meat and all kinds of foodstuff are
produced here at very reasonable prices. Besides, aquatic
and marine animals are easily acquired from the sea and
many rivers. These factors together with the gift of cooking
of Thai people make Thailand a paradise for every food
Wherever you are in Thailand, you'll surely find a good
number and variety of eating places -- perhaps much more
than you've ever expected. And that's why many Western
visitors said that one of their pleasures while being
in Thailand is EATING! When asked why? They simply said
-- Because it is delicious and cheap!
The Top Ten Thai Dishes Loved by Foreigners
Do you want to try something exotic and spicy? Thai food
is recommended to you. Eating Thai food, you will not
only enjoy its delicious tastes, but you will also get
benefit from the medicinal herbs used as ingredients in
each dish. To acquaint you with herbal Thai dishes, let
Thaiways present to you the recipes for top ten
Thai dishes best loved by foreigners with the medicinal
properties of herbs used in each dish.
(Meat in Coconut Cream)
last dish in the top ten Thai food menu that Thaiways
has obtained its recipe for you is Kaeng Phanaeng
or meat in coconut cream. You can use either chicken
or beef as a main ingredient of the curry.
• 1 cup of chicken breasts or beef morsels
• 5 peppercorns
• 1 cup of coconut cream
• 2 dried chillies, seeded and
• 1/2 teaspoon of coriander seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
• 1 tablespoon of roast peanuts
• 1 tablespoon of chopped lemon
• 3 shallots
• 1 teaspoon of chopped coriander
• 5 cloves of garlic
• 3 slices galanga root
• 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon of grated kaffir-lime
• 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon of shrimp paste
How to cook
1. Fry the chicken or beef morsels in a saucepan
with medium heat.
2. Pour the coconut cream and boil it.
3. When it boils, turn down the heat to a low point. Simmer
it until the chicken or beef becomes tender. Then take
the meat out while continuing simmering the coconut cream.
4. Stir it occasionally. Meanwhile, prepare the
curry paste by grinding together all the spices including
dried chillies, peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds,
lemon grass, shallots, coriander root, garlic and galanga
root. Then add the roast peanuts and shrimp paste. Mix
them and pound them well into paste.
5. Blend the curry paste with boiling coconut cream. Put
the meat into the curry again. Use low heat to cook it.
6. Add the sliced red chillies. Flavour it with fish sauce,
sugar and the grated kiffir-lime rind.
7. Simmer for another 15 minutes before the curry is ready
||More about Thailand
Links to Thaiways Maps