Prachuap Khiri Khan Province is a gateway to the southern part of Thailand. According to historical evidence, this area used to be a town called “Narang”. It was abandoned after the fall of the Ayutthaya Kingdom in 1767. Later in the reign of King Rama II (1809-1824), a new town was established at the mouth of the E-Rom canal and was given the name Bang Nang Rom. In the reign of King Rama IV (1851-1868), Bang Nang Rom, Kui Buri and Khlong Wan Towns were aggregated and known as Prachuap Khiri Khan Province with the administrative office in Kui Buri. In 1898, the office was moved to Prachuap Bay, which became the seat of the provincial administration.
Natural attractions and swimming and bathing beaches can be found in the province. The most prestigious and ever popular tourist attraction is Hua Hin Beach in Hua Hin County. Hua Hin, meaning stone head in Thai, is the oldest seaside resort town of Thailand that has attracted countless Thai and foreign tourists. The town is popular for swimming, fishing and golfing and is now among the most prosperous tourist cities of Thailand.
The boom of Hua Hin started after the completion of Hua Hin Railway Station, as part of the Southern Railway built in the reign of King Rama VI (1910-1925). In addition, the construction of King Rama VII’s summer palace transformed the formerly quiet fishing village called Ban Samo Riang or Ban Laem Hin into a high-class holiday destination known as Hua Hin.